Monday, July 29, 2013

Be careful who you stand on when you're climbing your way to the top



When it comes to life (and business) relationships rule. Sure, what you know plays a role - but who you know and how you treat them can either bring you success or innumerable headaches.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not sure my success would not taste as sweet if I had a trail of dead bodies in my wake. There's ambition and then, there's ruthlessness. Make sure you know which of those you are displaying.

One of the problems is that people guard their feelings/ thoughts like the crown jewels.
If we were able to clearly express our views without either party getting easily offended perhaps there would be less unnecessary bloodshed in business. We need to develop thicker skins!

Unfortunately things go unsaid far too often. We even lie to ourselves. Maybe we're not doing it intentionally but by default. We're so busy rushing around trying to pioneer new ventures, keep cashflow healthy, meet deadlines - that there is very little time for reflection. Take the time to sit quietly, to turn down the volume of your entrepreneur brain and just take stock of where you are. Ask yourself - "Where in my life or my business am I conning myself? What am I feeling? How am I acting toward or communicating with others?"

The relationships you develop in business can be your most valuable resource. By all means, shake the boat, but do it for the right reasons. Don't just piss people off left right and centre because you don't know how to communicate clearly. 

So my question is - where do you draw the line? Is it possible to be tactful, but still communicate the truth openly and get positive results? Let me know what your thoughts are.


No comments:

Post a Comment