Thursday, July 25, 2013

Kiss Kansas Goodbye - The Branson Centre Advanced Course

Wow. 

I'm still trying to process what has happened over the last 3 months. In April I embarked on an adventure called "The Branson Centre Advanced Course". Having attended the Foundation course in October 2012, I thought I had an idea of what to expect. 

I started my business partly out of necessity. There was a little too much month left at the end of my money. I also had a dream, but wasn't entirely sure how to go about executing it effectively. One of the facilitators that made a huge impact on my way of thinking over the last 3 months, John Ballam, reminded us of something called "Unconscious Incompetence". At that stage of your business development journey you don't know what you don't know.

Your business doesn't operate in a vacuum. As an entrepreneur, your business is an extension of you. Your values, personality and aspirations are woven into the fabric of your company. If you want a better business, you need to work on yourself first. 

The Foundations course (which you can get more details on by viewing past posts) opened up the curtains to reveal my unconscious incompetence. The Advanced course set the curtain on fire and left nothing but a smouldering heap of ash - and a stark view of me, wide eyed and painfully, consciously aware of my incompetence.  It was a serious shock to my system.

This is not a comfortable place to be. But comfort is for children. If you want to be an entrepreneur, welcome being uncomfortable - because that's the point that motivates change. 


Here's how the cycle works:




Over my next series of posts, I'm going to attempt to explain wha
t happened during the Advanced course from a business perspective. Slightly more difficult to explain (but for you, I'll try!) is how the last 3 months have impacted me personally. 

As a taste of what you're in for - I'd like to leave you with a quote from the Matrix's shady character, Sypher - "Buckle up Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye bye".




No comments:

Post a Comment